Fostering research excellence
in EU Outermost Regions
The performance of research and innovation regional system is a key factor to be able to connect to the institutions and networks that dominate Framework Program scenes. The diagnosis highligted each ORs characteristics (such as their economic, social, political ones). Indeed, they influence the development, diffusion and use of innovation.
Four steps have been determined to analyze ORs R&I system :
1 – census of components of each OR system;
2 – evaluation of its performance and comparison with other European regions;
3 – focus on priorities and value chains defined in the smart specialization strategy;
4 – outlook on R&I public policies and potential synergies between structural funds and framework program.
WP2 enables to qualify ORs Research system profile, their research, development and innovation capacities. This mapping gathered quality data, which allowed a better overview of ORs ecosystem. The criteria chosen by the WorkPackage 2 Leader to define research system profile are :
– The total number of higher education institutions, research organizations, research groups ;
– Attractiveness of their research system through the share of foreign researchers active in the region ;
– Number of spin-off creation and international patents owned by institutions ;
– Number of publications and international co-publications;
– Implication of business sector in research; a major signal of the regional system performance.