Fostering research excellence
in EU Outermost Regions
Started in January 2019, the diagnosis of the ORs Research and Innovation ecosystems led by Nexa was one of the first steps of the Forward project.
An unprecedent involvement of the OR R&I communities
The analysis was based on a rigorous methodology which related on an intensive desk research, but also an unprecedent involvement of the OR communities : 186 interviews were conducted with regional organizations supervisors as well as with researchers and entrepreneurs, 258 individuals responded to a common survey and 155 participants took part to the different regional workshops.
Evidence-based conclusions to fight against popular beliefs
The main conclusions of the R&I diagnostic in the ORs are :
1 – These territories participate in Framework Programs 7 (127 projects) and Horizon 2020 program (200 projects) in projects at the forefront of global challenges (marine sciences, biodiversity, climate change, health diseases…),
2 – ORs participation is heterogeneous and low
3 – Three factors impede the participation :
– Lack of synergies in public policies
– Lack of a connection strategy towards major European networks
– Organizations/stakeholders don’t apply or don’t have the resources to apply
4 -Each region needs a customized approach to develop actions which address their own obstacles
5 -A joint strategy has been designed within Forward consortium and ambitions to build inclusive growth through knowledge-based economy in ORs
6- OR should join their strengths to reach critical masses and be competitive.
The WP2 implementation faced several challenges
WP2 suffers mainly from the lack of monitoring systems for R&I in the ORs. Also, WP2 was the first technical WP of the project, and there has been a late start of activities’ implementation in some regions. As a consequence, WP2 results were delivered in February 2020 instead of July 2019.
Ongoing update of regional and joint strategies :
The joint strategy and regional action plan need to be updated. 3 steps are foreseen to do so:
• Regional feedbacks about the use of the joint strategy and the implementation of actions will be collected (through a survey targeting WP2 regional delegates).
• A mutual learning workshop with WP2 delegates will be organized in February 2022 to discuss about current situation and prospects
• A report updating the joint strategy and regional action plans will be elaborated.